Wednesday 13 June 2007

A long-term goal

Climb The Eiger - I know it sounds mental but hear me out. It's not going to happen this year, or the next but in a few years time I'd like climb via the classic route. I read about it constantly and have been thinking about doing it for some months now. With the continuing climbing, the project to climb the Matterhorn next year, upcoming ice climbing and with more mountaineering than I currently do going backcountry with my snowboard as well as increasing levels of fitness and endurance it's a target - a goal - for the long term.

Of course it's going to be hard work and I need to keep improving my skill levels in lots of areas but all of that is starting to build up. There's a few years of training and climbing the mountains in the valley before making any steps planning it. I need more experience high up and to do lots of training summiting peaks around Chamonix over the next few years but that's something that is building up. Insofar as training venues, there are none better in the world than here and there's experience around every corner.

Maybe it'll never happen but maybe it will.